Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Tuesday: Authentic German Day


Let's talk about one of the best "F" words in the world... FOOD!

To be really sincere, out of all of the cuisines in the world, I am most ignorant of Germany's food. Sure I envisioned the stereotype that we Americans have in our heads of sausages, sauerkraut, and beer, but I knew there had to be much more than that! So I asked my dear friend Svea to take me somewhere very authentic yesterday, and she most certainly did! After a 20 minute drive through the small, curving streets in the most beautiful lush green region, we arrived in Hatting; a small village comprised of the cutest little wooden framed houses.

To make things even better, the village was filled with only German restaurants. We picked one with a terrace and the most ambiance, not to mention a mouth-watering smell of pork leg and a clear view of the FIFA cup on TV (Spain v. Portugal). After browsing through the menu and trying to resist ordering one of everything we ordered a plate of smoked fish with potato cakes to start...

Smoked salmon, some kind of shrimp salad, and smoked Matjes (a white fish with mild flavor and hair-like bones) all served with a side of creamy horseradish with the purpose of covering the potato cakes. These little cakes are like a sophisticated, and much more flavorful version of hasbrowns; needless to say, delicious.

For the second course Svea ordered the sausages, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes while I picked the pork "Zurich style" in a creamy, mushroom sauce with even more potato cakes!

Wait... we need a close-up of this yummy goodness...


My pork dish was, in simple terms, awesome. But I have to say, after trying everything on the table, the mashed potatoes are what sent me to heaven. Never had I tasted mashed potatoes like these in my life (sorry dad); so creamy, buttery, and perfectly salted with a kind of grainy texture (almost like grits) that melted in your mouth. Perfection.

Of course, as we usually do when we dine together, we ordered with our eyes and were extremely thankful for the up-hill walk to the car forcing our bodies to digest this rich food faster!

I hope I made your mouths water with jealousy! I'm off to have some bread and paté for breakfast!

Auf Wiedersehen!



No comments:

Post a Comment