Saturday, July 10, 2010

Blazing Beauty

I promised we'd discuss Berlin Fashion Week a little further so I'm sacrificing some London sight-seeing time to share my some-what humble opinion. So, with the help of the Mercedez-Benz Fashion Week webpage I browsed through some collections that I deeply wish I had viewed in person.
I am a firm believer that a beautiful blazer can really transform an outfit and can make your $10 H&M dress look like you just dropped 3k at KaDeWe (Luxury department store in Germany reminiscent of Neiman Marcus or Sax Fifth Avenue but MUCH bigger). As a designer, I'm obsessed with designing jackets and coats; and it wasn't until my senior collection that I realized I'm all about tailored looks. Therefore, my eye was naturally drawn to the following:

This little number from Kaviar Gauche is simple, and ingenious. An over-sized blazer, so over-sized that it can be belted to synch your waist expressing femininity through classic androgyny.

This tuxedo blazer is a little more traditional with satin lapels but updated in a pale color for Spring 2011 with the sleeves pushed up to create a little edge to the look.

And these looks from Guido Maria Kretschmer are more innovative versions of blazers and a very successful use of color blocking my two favorite colors... black and white!

This jacket here takes the award for 'Most Fabulous' and let's face it, not all of us can pull this look off the way this model can but I wouldn't mind seeing this at a cocktail party; I would be quite envious of the wearer.

But I would be far more envious if I saw someone on the street with this jacket...

Tailoring and draping fused in one look creating a soft interpretation of the blazer-wearing androgynous woman; simply amazing. Dear Santa Claus, can you put a rush order on this one? Thanks.

Now, I'm aware that blazers are not easy to pull off in Spring/Summer everywhere in the world which is why I feel the necessity for an industrial designer to put an internal-blazer-cooling-system on the market, but until then make sure you squeeze the juice out of your jackets in appropriate weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment