Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Shaky Town

Throughout my life I have spent many summers in Spain, and the heat can be brutal (although never as brutal as Florida summers). To cool down, Spaniards treat themselves to either one of the following: beer (sometimes with lemon Fanta) or MILKSHAKES!

But these aren't just milkshakes, they are smooth, creamy, delicious, and fattening milkshakes. You can walk into any bar in this lovely plaza (Plaza Mayor) and choose from a wide variation of these decadent cold drinks.


We're not just talking about vanilla, strawberry, or chocolate. They get quite creative with these drinks, but my favorite place to treat myself to one is Niccola cafe. They serve everything from ice cream to frapp├ęs, and from pancackes to icey slushy drinks. This place is filled with way more awesome than Starbucks. Starbucks Shmarbucks!

While my cousin chose a raspberry milkshake I decided to opt for something a little more innovative. How about an orange juice slushy or 'granizado' with a ball of vanilla ice cream on top? Vitamin C and mega-delicious-cool-down all in one cup? BINGO! Needless to say, my sweet tooth was begging for more after I finished but my stomach won the battle crying for me to stop feeding it.


Although I wouldn't mind having one every day, my wallet would dwindle since these drinks can get a little pricey and...well... my waist line would do anything but dwindle; I'll go back to drinking my cold sparkling water for now.




2 comments:

  1. it is a DREAM of mine to visit spain someday!

    thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend... especially Madrid. thanks to you for visiting mine!

    ReplyDelete