Saturday, July 31, 2010

World Capital Debate

After a heated debate with a stranger a couple of days ago it has recently come to my attention that people outside of the United States consider New York City to be the Capital of the world, and for some reason I feel a little bit surprised.


Now, I do believe that at one point NYC was the capital and melting pot of the world, but quite frankly I think this image is slowly fading and the privilege seems to be shifting to some other place. I have not traveled as much as I wish, but simply keeping in touch with current events has me thinking that perhaps it has shifted to a city in China; but for everything other than sports, we all know the sports capitol is Spain!

I would really like to know what my fellow friends and readers have to say about this. Every opinion is valid! Which city gives you the sensation of being the cultural melting pot, where you hear approximately five different languages a day minimum, and can choose from many, many different world cuisines to eat for dinner?

What is the new world capital and why?

4 comments:

  1. where you hear approximately five different languages a day minimum, and can choose from many, many different world cuisines to eat for dinner?
    In Toronto.

    and, well i dont know.. i just think that the world doesn't need a capitol..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... I still think New York, NY is the closest possible to a world capital. It has everything you said AND it still hosts the UN.

    ...San Juan, PR is a close second ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a city in China may be taking over at some point in the near future, right now I still think it's NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ quecreesquefueloquefallo, I agree that i don't think the world needs a capital and I guess I'd much rather consider myself a citizen of the world rather than of one or two specific countries.

    @Stephan, very funny :)

    ReplyDelete